Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pain

Yesterday, I went to my eye dr, who told me that I must have a "high threshold for pain," because I've managed to scratch my cornea so badly and am still downplaying it.  I wanted to tell her, "well that's because I run marathons..." but thought better of it.

Then today, I was looking at some pics that on the Marine Corps Marathon facebook page and noticed a sign that said, "pain feels better than regret."

And of course, you've probably picked up on my current mantra: "what distinguishes marathoners is their willingness and capacity for pain."

Pain is a weird subject.  It's natural to feel averse to pain because, well, it's painful.  There has to be a point where it's bad to ignore pain, because your body feels pain in general to alert you to something bad.  But sometimes pain can lead you to glory.  Sometimes working through pain leads us to run farther than we ever thought possible, to try something that we never thought we could achieve, or to succeed when we thought it was impossible.  One of the most important parts of marathon running is learning to love pain, to savor it, to work through it. 

And then ultimately, forget all about it so that you can do it all over again!

The only thing standing between me and the Marine Corps Marathon is...the Hershey Half Marathon!  So excited to have a relaxing run this weekend and go to the marvelous spa with my mom.  And then...OORAH!

No comments: