Friday, March 20, 2009

I'll Stand By You

Man, what is UP with the lame post titles?? My creative juices must be getting peed out as I try to hydrate for my half marathon this Saturday...

This week, a coworker registered for a 10k (this will prove to me that you're actually reading this...you know who you are!!!). And my friend in Delaware (resisting Dela-WHERE joke) called me in a blind panic this morning with the statement, "I have a charge on my credit card for that stupid marathon you made me register for!" Whoops. the whole point of getting people to do that was so that I could do it with them! But alas, my credit card remains sadly uncharged, leading me to believe that I will not be joining the ranks of runners in October.

First of all, to both these beautiful ladies, I just want to say, wow, I am so proud of you! It takes a big step to run a race, even if you're just doing it for fun! I know that both of you are going to do a great job and dedicate your time and your heart to a huge accomplishment!

Second, my marathon friend pointed out something interesting to me: running a marathon requires running intensive training. To me, this is great news. It never occurred to me that this could be disturbing for someone.

But here's the thing - it doesn't have to be. Training for a race requires a lot more than just running. You have to cross train or else you run the risk of injury. You have to swim, use the elliptical, do yoga, and take days off. Heck, she will probably do better than me because if you add more cross training it, you learn more about your body and what it can take and what it can't. My downfall was that running became the only thing I would do and it got to the point where I had my on/off button - am I running or not? I found it difficult to vary things and push myself by the end. That's why I'm training for a triathlon.

Which brings me to a very important point. I'm putting this in writing, so you know I have to stick with it.

If you are doing a race and want my support, I'm not just going to be there at the finish line, chugging a beer while I give you a high five. I'm going to be running at 6am with you and if you live in Delaware, I'm going to call you at 5:30 so that you can get on the road by 6. with me. I'll be out there too. If you want someone to jump into a race (cough illegally cough) and be there for you during mile 22, I'm going to be there. I'm training with you, I'm standing by you, I'm celebrating with you, I'm crying with you. I'm not a personal trainer, I'm not trained professional to help you do this.

I'm just your friend.

No comments: