Tuesday, March 17, 2009

How to be healthy

I'm struggling with this myself, to be honest. I try to work out a lot and I've tried to replace my snack bars and granola bars with fruit. I've replaced bagels with oatmeal and I try to drink a lot of water and stretch once every 2 weeks at least. I don't take vitamins, but I have contemplated it on many occasions. I don't sleep enough, but I'm semi-aware of this. Kind of. Sort of.

This morning I got up and went for a half hour run before work. I've been pretty wiped out lately, but I convinced myself that it was a good idea. It felt good to run, but as I was out this morning, I realized that I haven't done a lot for other people lately. I haven't done any sort of volunteer work in a long time and random acts of kindness should be a daily occurrence - it's not something you pat yourself on the back for every few months.

Did you know that people who do volunteer work are clinically happier? Psychologists will sometimes encourage people who are depressed to do volunteer work, because it just makes you feel better. I mean...I think that human beings often need to find a personal gain in order to be incentivized to do something (that's not a real word, I know. work with me here). But if you're going to find personal gain in anything, why not find it in someone else's joy?

Can we ever be really healthy without working out our soul? Yeah, I know I'm entering the dangerous world of drum circles and chants of kum-bai-ya. But I think that people often end up searching for something, even with personal accomplishments like marathons or triathlons. No matter how many races you run, it's your place in the human race that really matters.

I'm sorry, but can we take a minute to applaud my pun?

No comments: