Monday, March 23, 2009

Getting lost is fun!

On Saturday, I got up at 5:45, dashed out the door and ran a half marathon. It was really fun - through DC, it started almost next door to my house. I decided to go for time - usually I go just to finish. But I felt like pushing myself a little bit.

When I was waiting outside in the cold, I kind of had second thoughts. Why the heck am I outside, before the sun is up, on a Saturday morning? Negative thoughts shocked through my system and I had to scold myself a little bit to keep from returning home to bed. But there really is something about that start gun. And once I do one mile, my addiction floods back and I have to do another. And another. I didn't even notice the first 5 miles.

Ok so really, I don't know if I even noticed any of the miles. It was cool to see the mile markers fly by, but I really wasn't paying much attention. I was in the zone - I didn't even realize it then, but looking back now, I see that I was completely in this race.

I don't ever look at the race map too closely before a run. There are times when this is bad, like when you can see people looping back towards you and you're wondering when you get to the turn around, but most of the time it keeps my interest piqued and I stop worrying about when I will get there and more about how I'm getting to the end. I know this would drive some people crazy, but I think this is why I hate treadmills - you always know where you are. I like running outside cause you can get lost - I like getting lost in a race because it makes you more alert.

I tried to convince myself that I didn't want to be doing a full marathon anyway, but it kept bugging me that I had a "HALF" sign on my back and when I finished, other people where doing more than me. We split off from the marathoners right at 13 miles, which is when I began to pick up the pace. I saw the finish line and looked down at my watch - I was going to make it in under 2 hours. As I rounded close to the finish line, I heard the announcer say that we were going to make it in under 2 hours - then he started the countdown. What??? I looked up at the finish clock and there were only 12 seconds left to 9:00am. I really had to sprint to make it in before that time! (My chip start time was actually a little bit after 7:00am, so I think I was pretty well under 2 hours anyway).

Then on Monday, I went over to the pool that is close to my house. I was kind of wary, since it's a public pool in Southeast DC (not hatin' just wondering!). But it was a GORGEOUS pool, a lot bigger than the ones I've been swimming in and it's FREE for DC residents! I only swam for about a half hour, but I will definitely be going back there.

And that is why the William H. Rumsey Aquatic Center receives....

SARAH'S UNPAID ENDORSEMENT!

What more could you want from a pool than free, not too crowded, clean, and managed well? I mean you could have lockers that worked a little bit better, but let's not get greedy here. If you happen to be able to get to Eastern Market, this is the place to go. Well worth a commute and well worth a trip, even if it's just for fun. They have those noodles there for you to use. You know what I'm talking about. You know you still use them even though they're for 5 year olds. I know you know.

William H Rumsey Aquatic Center
635 North Carolina Ave SE

Right by the Eastern Market hall.
Cost: FREE for DC residents
Locker rooms available - bring a quarter to make sure they lock!
Showers on site.
Clean locker rooms.
Kickboards and other swim tools available for use.
Lifeguard on duty.

No comments: