Wednesday, August 27, 2008

To Look Cool (and be safe), Wear This!

This morning I woke up at 5:05 and thought: ugh. It was dark outside. I was sleepy. I had woken up at 3:45 and thought it was time to get up (but I did have to pee so lucky I woke up?!). But then I reminded myself that I had a mission! If I ran this morning, I would earn myself some moo-lah. So I sat in my nice bed for a few more minutes and then dragged myself out.

It’s been cool when I’m walking to work these days, so I decided that at 5am it would be downright cold. Umm, hello Sarah, it’s still August. So the sweat-capris, not such a good idea (they are sooooo comfortable though, just a little warm). As I puttered around getting ready, it dawned on me that dawn would not come until I was almost done with my run. This provokes some serious safety issues, including the threat of being mowed down by the garbage trucks. But luckily, this past Christmas I got the fabulous gift of a reflective running vest! Truth be told, I look like a real goofball when I run around in this – but no one will miss me. And my chances of winning in court should a garbage truck mow me down will greatly increase since I took the precaution of wearing it. Thus, I offer you the following arguments for the important, if slightly goofy, running vest:
1. you will be visible in the early morning and the late night
2. this means you can still run alone
3. you provide great entertainment for those around you (one of the police officers by the Capital this morning said I looked like the reflecting pool)
4. it makes you look tough (ish) – did you ever see the cops wearing those? No? they do, I promise. People will think you’re a tough protector of the law/you know karate and hence will not try to mug/rape/attack you
5. it has a handy compartment in it for your keys/metro card/snacks
6. did I mention that when you put it on – BOOM – instant cool?

******SARAH’S UNPAID ENDORSEMENT****************
Please click here to see my reflective running vest. Our friend Edgar happily models this version, which retails at a mere $12.99! For a scant $13, you can look as cool as Edgar and me!

MILEAGE/DOLLARS EARNED:
Today: 8miles/$8
Total bribe money earned: $8

PS. that guy's name isn't really Edgar...well it might be, but I don't actually know him. FYI.

No comments: