Tuesday, February 15, 2011

What if I stopped running?

I'm tired. It's cold outside. My job is keeping me too busy. 26.2 miles is SO MANY MILES.

Why the heck did I sign up for a marathon next month?

I am really considering bowing out of this one. I'm still signed up for the 24 hour race, so it's not like I would just STOP running. But what if I did? What if suddenly, I no longer did marathons or 5ks or 10 mile races? What if MarathonMennone turned into just...Mennone?

It's a tempting thought sometimes, but it's also terrifying. Running has become a huge part of my identity. It keeps me focused and gives me a hobby other than "watching reruns of the Real Housewives." It is a much more remarkable hobby and it makes me feel special when I tell people "I run marathons." But I'm also just really tired...maybe 3 marathons a year is just too much for me. But at the same time...maybe it's not enough?

I know that I probably will not skip this marathon. But I need something to motivate me and I haven't been able to find it yet. Any suggestions?

No comments: