Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Why are you running a marathon?

As marathon season really kicks in, I do more reading on the subject. I was reading something (I don't remember what) and it asked the very annoying question: why are you running a marathon?

Well geez. That's actually kind of tough to answer.

I mean...why 26.2 miles? We all know WHY that's a marathon distance but why is that the distance that I personally am choosing to run? Is it because I want to compete? No...I'm actually not an incredibly competitive person (although research DOES indicate that I can run a marathon faster than Ted Koppel, Al Gore, AND Oprah and this makes me feel ridiculously proud...I don't think this necessarily counts as competitive. It's more bratty than anything). Is it because after 26.2 miles my body just gives up? Well no, obviously it doesn't since I managed 43 miles earlier this year.

Is it because I love torturing my friends and family by making them sit out in the sun/rain/heat/cold for hours just to glimpse me for 30 seconds? No, I really do feel guilty about that sometimes.

I really can't put my finger on "why" I decided it would be a good idea to do this. It's just a part of me now. It's what I do. I run marathons and they pull me in, time after time. Even when it hurts. Even when training is inconvenient. I just can't resist the thought of a marathon.

No comments: