Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Back in the game

Wow...I am pathetic. No blog posts since JULY?!?

First: how is it suddenly October 12?
Second: how did I miss blogging my 24 hour race?
Third: how can I be doing a marathon in 19 days?

Lots of questions are running through my head now. I can't answer all of them. For example: I cannot answer my first question. That's just the way it is. Time passes and suddenly you find yourself in October. No one asks you if you want a little more time in August. Time just goes, goes, goes, goes.

How did I miss blogging my 24 hour race? Shame mostly. I did a mere 43 miles instead of the 52 that I wanted. How could I possibly face you after such shame?

Haha...I actually have a completely positive opinion of my 24 hour race. I had the BEST TIME EVER. All day, just running, surrounded by runners and the people who love them. My parents spent ALL DAY with me, supporting me and my mom even ran my last 8 mile lap with me ("ran" is a nice way of putting it...by that point I was kind of limping). I learned a few key lessons. We stopped at the hotel midway and that was where I crashed. I need to stay in the zone the whole time and not back into the real world. The world that I run in is very different from the real world.

In general, I wholeheartedly recommend doing a 24 hour race if you love running. It really inspires you and makes you feel like you have accomplished something great.

Ok, that was the 24 hour race. Now, the Marine Corps Marathon looms large on Halloween. Having made my goal to qualify for Boston, this race has been especially terrifying. I don't want to fail. The worst part about not wanting to fail is that it makes you not want to try. If you don't try, then you can at least say that it was possible. If you try and fail, then you're just a big fat failure. It wasn't possible. You couldn't do it and you didn't. On the other hand, if I try, at least I get to run a marathon. I really do hate time goals and qualifying events. If only I hadn't gotten it in my head that it would be a good idea to try for this...now I can't get it out.

I am currently reading the book Born to Run. It's pretty much changing my life. I am fully expecting to write an entry soon about barefoot running. Stay tuned.

No comments: