Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Let's do a marathon?

On Saturday, I will run a marathon.

Why is this not bothering me more? My training has not extended beyond a 15 mile run. That’s still 11 more miles to go! The snow kept me inside on the treadmill which I hate, and left the experience of running outside as a hazy memory. And yet I’m nonchalantly mentioning this as if it’s not a big deal to run 26.2 miles.

Ha. Nonchalant. Last night I woke up and thought to myself, “I am insane.”

Luckily I KNOW that I am insane, so I’m pretty sure that I’ll make it through. Probably not very fast, although I did just realize that the last 5 or so miles are through Anacostia. If you don’t know where Anacostia, DC is, then look it up. I will potentially be running very fast for the last 5 miles.

I got a PaceTat, which is a temporary tattoo that I wear on my arm to help me finish in a certain amount of time. Right now, my goal is to finish in 4:20, which is close to my marine corps marathon time. I’m thinking it probably won’t happen…I’ll probably be slower. But it’s worth a try. I need to do another marathon this summer to use the 4 hour one and then I bought one that is for 3:40 in anticipation of qualifying for Boston at the MCM this year. Depending on how it goes, it could end up as one of my fabulous UNPAID ENDORSEMENTS!!!

I’m considering a running coach for the summer. I emailed him and everything. Then he told me that I probably just need to increase my endurance runs (ie do more of them), so I’m tempted to take his free information and um not pay him for a 3 month package. But who knows? Perhaps if I tank hard enough during this race I will bite the bullet and splurge?

I am BEYOND excited that this is a marathon and not a triathlon. I still have flashbacks of hyperventilation and terror when I even run close to the Potomac. *SHUDDER*

No comments: