Monday, January 5, 2009

2009 Insanity

SO. Faithful readers. I must inform you that the title of this blog will remain MarathonMennone (Mennone rhymes with baloney), I will actually use 2009 to transform myself into TriathlonMennone. Yes, that’s right, I’ve decided that my 2009 challenge is to do the Nation’s Triathlon, which includes a 1.5k swim, a 40k bike ride, and a 10k run.

INSANITY!

Some major obstacles:
~my swimming skills consist of: doggie paddle fast, doggie paddle slow, and dead man’s float.
~I haven’t ridden a bike since my time abroad in Barcelona, where I flew over the handlebars while trying to go up a hill
~I don’t own a bike
~I don’t own a swimsuit…or goggles…or a swimming cap…
~there is nowhere to swim in this gosh darn city

A membership at the Y costs $73 a month…that’s even more than my fantastic Gold’s Gym membership! There is no way I can justify spending $73 for maybe 10 hours of swimming a month (and that’s ambitious). I’m only slightly concerned about the biking part, I mean they say you never forget. And you wear a helmet….and I take spinning classes at the gym….

This is bonkers! Who the heck does a triathlon? Only fools and crazies! BUT you get to wear really cool gear…and the GU intake will increase dramatically. And I will be in what Runner’s World promises to be “ the best shape of my life.” The problem is that there are seemingly few resources to tell someone how you actually train for a triathlon. Runner’s World has a measly 4 articles regarding the subject (I mean, they’re only in charge of 1/3 of it anyway). So once again, I’m kind of self training, which may or may not be the best idea. But I am getting help with the whole swimming situation, with the help of Coach Kelly Roommate! And I’m currently in the process of enlisting unsuspecting victims to accompany me on bike rides (preferably those with medical/CPR/wound training)…any takers?

On the plus side, I went out and ran 10 miles yesterday and it felt GREAT!
Also on the plus side….I’M DOING A TRIATHLON!!

(now that I’ve blogged it, I guess I better register)

No comments: