Thursday, January 8, 2009

You like me, you really like me!

When I told people I was going to run a marathon last year, their response was pretty much: "wow! you're crazy!" But they knew I love to run and no one really questioned whether or not I could do it, it was pretty much just a question of why I was going to put myself through that.

But what I've found with announcing my news of a triathlon is not a mere shaking of the head but genuine concern: "you're going to do WHAT?! do you even know how to swim??" The "you're crazy!" line still makes its way out, only this time I think it's sincere. It's almost enough to deter me, but paying $165 to do this makes it worth my while not to be deterred (so THAT'S why they charge so much). And while I know that everyone wants me to remain alive in 2009 and the only reason why anyone would even bother to say anything is because they care about me, I have to say it's not easy to hear. I have to be pretty cocky to be doing this, because no, I haven't had formal swim training since 6th grade (and they weren't the best of lessons) and no, I don't know how to switch gears on a bike.

YET.

I am not going to lie and say that I could do a triathlon tomorrow. Or next week. Or next month. No, I probably couldn't. But that's why I'm doing it. I'm doing it because it's not something I could just jump up and do, it's not something I could do at any point in my life. This is a challenge and it's a big challenge and it's, I guess, semi-dangerous (although I really don't think there's real danger here). I'm aware of the facts, I'm aware that it's difficult to swim in open water, I'm aware that there will be hills on the bike course, I'm aware that I will be doing a lot of activity in the course of a morning.

So while I appreciate your concern and your affectionate proddings, I'm not backing out of this, I'm not going to quit, and, no offense, but if you want to be negative, then well...don't. Just don't. I don't need it. It's enough of a challenge without having to convince you that it's not.

No comments: