Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Lime Green Sneakers of Life

Tomorrow is New Year’s Eve, which means that I will inevitably end up dozing off shortly before midnight in a feeble attempt to watch the ball drop in NYC…on TV. I’m not a big fan of New Year’s Eve, nor do I make New Year’s Resolutions (as I already mentioned).

HOWEVER

I have been itching to shake things up for the past few months now. Without school and professors defining the daily activities of my life, without homework and paper writing and marathon training, I’ve found myself bored, lulled into the monotony of a grown-up life, filled with work, gym, food, repeat. (ok it’s really not THAT bad, I do have a boyfriend and a cat and a generally busy social life with incredible friends) but I miss having structure, I miss being bribed to do things like practice the piano or write a paper, promising myself rewards of alternatively more gym time or more food. I miss the far off dream of a marathon. I miss writing papers. I really do. Every day at work, I grow more and more tempted to pick and topic and write a 2 page paper on it.

So I have decided that I have to fix this rut I’ve gotten into, I have to remind myself that there is more to life than a job and that I have to maintain a balance of academia (sounds like macadamia) and fun and running and responsibility. I’m tired of not being organized, of leaving clean clothes in my basket for 2 weeks while I try to make time to fold them. I’m tired of leaving books scattered around my house. Gosh darn it, I’m going to buy a book shelf.

When I mentioned to my mom the other day that I was missing inspiration to run, she returned home from work with a pair of lime green Nike sneakers. She told me they were to inspire me and to get me back on track. And you know what? They have. I absolutely love these green sneakers, they are bright and energetic and they will, I believe, inspire a return to the pavement. So I think I just have to find lime green sneakers in everything. In my desire to study, in my desire to be more active…when I am seeking organization in my life, I will have to pick up something small to remind me that yes, it is important, because I have added value to it. In my job, in my daily routine, in the goals I am creating for myself for 2009, I will have to seek out my lime green sneakers in all that I do.

I think I better go buy some bright colored pumps to maintain this in the business world…

Whoever said that running was just running has never really ran.

No comments: