Monday, December 22, 2008

Baby, it's cold outside!!!!

It’s cold outside. Today it was 17 degrees, and felt like 1, when I left for work in the morning. Needless to say, I’m not jumping up at 5am, when it’s pitch black and there’s penguins running around outside, to go running. Nor am I coming home from work at 6pm or later, and throwing on my spandex to do a loop around the park – nope, that’s when the polar bears are out. I managed to do the Jingle all the Way 10k (in 54 minutes, I might add), which was a lot of fun, but still…COLD. And the winter solstice was only yesterday! What to do as winter threatens me with imminent hibernation?

The truth is, I must return to the gym. I have to buy a new gym bag that will hold all my crap and fill it with shoes, a towel, shampoo, a hairdryer (excessive? Perhaps) and convince myself that going to the gym 4 times a week in the morning or after work will ultimately make me feel better, not just physically, but also mentally, considering I’m paying $40 a month to have a membership card. With no picture on it. I know. If I’m paying $40, it should AT LEAST have an ugly “before” picture on it to motivate me.

But the truth is, I haven’t been motivated. I’m in a slump. I feel my muscles deteriorating, oozing from my body. I no longer feel a constant soreness, which had become the norm for my body all summer/fall. So I finally decided to bring it back at the gym yesterday, but doing about 50 squats, followed by 30 lunges, 20 more squats, 30 more lunges, and about 2 minutes of wall sits. At first, as I did the squats, I worried that I had lost the ability to feel that searing pain that comes with leg exercises – oh no, don’t worry, I haven’t, and I feel it today and I run around the city. I guess now would be the time to do some serious work with free weights and give yoga another shot (shudder…shudder…). Now I just have to find a way to convince myself to do this. The holidays certainly don’t help, since all I’ve been doing is eating. This is quite a rant here. But then again, that’s what this blog is for. So that no one has to here this on the phone or in person (although some people inevitably will). I must find a way to get back on track.

I could go the whole New Year’s Resolution route and tell myself that it’s my job for the new year, to be fit and fun. Except I decided a long time ago that resolutions are BS and I usually go less than 24 hours before I break them, even if just for the sake of irony. I have to find something to work for, or maybe find a new sport or work out. That’s what Shapeselfcosmofitnessrunnersworld magazine said. Vary your workouts and you will continue doing them!

No comments: