Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Going backpacking

A few weeks ago, I made a solid investment. I purchased a running backpack. It was definitely not a spur of the moment purchase; I'd been thinking about it for a while. As summer started to wind down, I became increasingly concerned about how and when I would fit in my running. Then one day it occurred to me: run home from work.

The run from my office in downtown DC to Pentagon City, VA is absolutely beautiful. I go right down the National Mall, loop around by the Jefferson Memorial, and go on a bridge right to VA. Then I take the Mt. Vernon trail around by the airport, through Crystal City directly to my apartment building. It's a little less than 5 miles and is an ideal run for weekdays. For the past few weeks, I've been running home at least once or twice a week. I get my workout in early, so I'm not running around at 8pm in the dark AND I burn off all of the stress/steam of the workday.

For the record, I highly recommend the brand that I bought - Osprey Talon. I purchased it from a great company called Moosejaw. It was about $80 and it was completely worth it. The backpack is lightweight, comfortable, and easy to run with. There's lots of useful compartments and it even has a separate space for a water bladder. It is pretty much my new favorite running toy for now!

No comments: