Tuesday, April 7, 2009

To the spectators...

To the brave people who wake up early and come out on the course with their dunkin donuts cups…to the kind souls who break out the cow bells and the clappers…to the rebels who bring beer and Dixie cups for the runners, for the thoughtful mothers who put Vaseline on tongue depressors and hold them out as we pass, to the folks who hand out the Gatorade and the water…to my mother who held a sign up throughout my entire first marathon…this post is for you.

I did the Cherry Blossom 10 miler on Sunday. It was a pretty race, but incredibly disorganized. I was really irritated by the lines at bib pickup – it was chaotic, they sent us one way, then herded us another. At the end of the race, the usual corrals that they pass us through like sheep or cows were absent. And it did NOT WORK. Chaos and panic ensued. We sighed in bitter agony as we attempted to find our post race bananas. Don’t mess with a runner who can’t find his banana.

But what also irked me about this race was…well there were 2 things. First, a TON of people in the race had headphones on. It took me a while to get there but I fully support the headphone ban in races. I hate trying to weave around people who are so completely zoned out. I hate trying to comfort someone who is obviously suffering but Nelly Furtado is blaring in their ears. I hate hearing the soft strains of Nelly Furtado invade my race as someone who has their ipod turned up too loud comes up and jogs next to me as if to say, go ahead, I dare you. Rip my headphones out.

I think that this discouraged our spectators from cheering. Or else they didn’t have their Dunkin’ Donuts Coffee. Because they were soooo quiet! One of the best parts of a race is that people are there to yell and scream and cheer! But there were stretches where I just wanted to yell at the crowds, I wanted to cheer on our cheerleaders, to give them some pep to pass back. The Marine Corps Marathon had absolutely the best cheering crowds and I guess I got spoiled. I think it's the nicest, most wonderful thing to do. I hold some of those people in higher regard than myself and my companions in the race - after all, we are the ones who paid money and trained. If we didn't come we would just be copping out. Their presence is a genuine show of support, love, and manic cruelty (who wants to watch people run a marathon?!?!!). I don't think I would even do races if there weren't crowds.

Whenever I pass a race now (if I randomly find one that I’m not running in), I yell and I clap and I pull out my emergency cowbell. Cause believe it or not, hearing someone scream, go runners you can do it! Is way more motivating than Kanye West telling you that he’s not saying she’s a golddigger.

No comments: