Wednesday, April 1, 2009

5:30am Coffee Break

For anyone who keeps up with running literature, or even follows the NY Times, you may have noticed a recent article about the benefits of coffee before running. Caffeine is the only stimulant currently legal to use in running (drat!...wait...what else could you possibly use? I don't even know). The articles that I read said that it's a great way to get a burst of energy (WOW coffee does that?!?! who knew!??) and that many runners will go on a caffeine fast for a few weeks before a big race to get a really good jolt the day of.

So, I got up this morning at 5:30 (actually birds woke me up at 4:18 and I never really fell back asleep) and was going to go to the gym. I thought I'd do a cycling class, but that didn't pan out, but, details, details, who needs them? I figured I might as well have some coffee before my workout since I had gotten up so early with those stupid birds. I made about 2 cups (measuring here, not actual cups that I drank) of delicious hazelnut coffee and gulped them down as I got ready.

Results? Ok first I must admit that I am somewhat of a caffeine junkie and I probably have somewhat of a buildup in my system. I think it was more of a placebo effect and I didn't get anything out of it. Coffee has a bad reputation as being a poop catalyst, but I didn't have that problem when I was working out. Was anyone eating breakfast just now? Bet you're done!

Would I drink coffee again before working out? Yes and no. I do like starting my day with coffee and it does have a placebo effect on me. I don't like have to make coffee before 6am, because it takes a little while and it requires effort, which I lack when I first get up. Jury's still out on caffeine.

No comments: