Sunday, June 24, 2012

Running teaches us...

I'm a big fan of running metaphors for life.  I think that running can teach us how to live the rest of our lives with greater purpose, drive, and joy.

People don't always believe me when I start blabbering on about the joys of running.  And I really don't expect everyone to LOVE to run.  Just like I don't love to swim or bike, not everyone is going to have the inner desire to put in some miles on the pavement.  But I still think that running can offer us some important lessons.

What I'd like to talk about today is the importance of enjoying the race.

It really doesn't matter how long a race or a training run is - by the end of it, I'm usually amazed that it's over.  By the last mile of a marathon or the home stretch of a daily jog, I frequently find myself in awe of what I have accomplished.  And quite often, I'm wishing for just a little bit more time, just one or two more miles.


When I did my first marathon, I was terrified of doing anything except run.  Now, I definitely enjoy the races that I do. I say thank you to the police officers who block the streets for us, I high-five the kids on the sidelines, I look actively for my parents, and I laugh with the volunteers at the water stations.  And now that I do that...somehow my times get even better.  


Don't you think life would also be more enjoyable and memorable if we stop being so serious and enjoy what we're given?  Yes, it can be hard and painful.  But if you can learn to smile through pain, your race pictures sure do turn out a lot better.

No comments: