Thursday, May 3, 2012

Racing Recap...it's been a while

Wow, it's really been a while since I last posted something! A lot has happened and a lot is about to happen. I guess the most EXCITING thing that happened is that I PR'ed in the Rock'n'Roll marathon in DC on March 17. After some great training and a mild winter, I finished 26.2 miles in....... 3:49:55 I can't even tell you how exciting it is to have broken 4 hours (again) AND beat my last time by 10 minutes!! It was a perfect race day - absolutely beautiful. I went into it with no expectations (really the best way to run a race) and ended up running the best race of my life. I don't really remember being in pain at all, although by the end the keys that I had stuffed into my back pocket had rubbed a small patch on my lower back raw. It really was a fantastic race. I can't even begin to hope to replicate the time...this Sunday. That's right, less than 2 months later, I am running the FLYING PIG MARATHON in Cincinnati, Ohio of all places. Strangely enough, this is one of the very few marathons I've ever run where I actually know other people running. I know 2 other people who are joining me in this crazy race! I originally signed up for the Flying Pig Marathon because I wanted (wait for it) a picture in front of the "Finish Swine." Yup, instead of a Finish LINE it's a Finish SWINE! Hahaha. I hope you're enjoying this as much as me. Also Runner's World consistently publishes great reviews of the race. I never really understood why, but I definitely do now that I'm a participant. So far it has been incredibly well organized - great website, informative email updates. You can sign up for FREE runner update texts or emails - a lot of races charge for this service now. While reviewing some race day tips that they emailed to us, I realized that there are water stops at EVERY MILE OF THE RACE. If that doesn't really mean anything to you, then just take it from me: it's incredible. Most races will have it every other mile at best. So here's hoping for a great race on Sunday. The weather in Cincinnati is supposed to be in the 70s or the 80s, which for me, is a great day! Oh did I forget to mention that both of my big toenails are turning black? I guess I'll wait till next time to cover the subject of losing your toenails as a runner...

No comments: