Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Challenge of Hydration

It's been a crazy last few weeks as I moved from Northwest DC to Southeast.  Some people might call this part of the city unsafe.  I wouldn't necessarily describe it like that - I think SE gets a bad rap.  I actually live in a very nice neighborhood and I am only 2 miles away from the Capitol building.  And I know this because I have started running to the Capitol, yep, even getting up and 5 and going before work.  New scenery, new routes, but basically once you get to the National Mall the same lunatics (aka people like me) are still running around with their fuel belts and their GU.
The fuel belt, in case I haven't mentioned it yet, is quite possibly the greatest invention in the entire world.  An incredibly comfortable, adjustable belt, it comes with four 8oz sports bottle and pockets and pouches for keys and cards.  It makes one look incredibly hard core and dedicated, which means that you end up pushing yourself even harder because you can't just go run 5 miles with a fuel belt on.  A fuel belt requires you to run at least 10 - you can tell just by putting it on that you are going to have a serious run.
Of course, I have already managed to break mine, but that is not the point.
The point is that it is very easy to get used to having water and sports drinks on hand once you get all these gizmos and contraptions.  My fuel belt (when it is properly assembled and not in a few pieces on my bedroom floor) usually contains GU, which is a fantastic substance that comes in a small pouch and is full of carbohydrates and designed to refuel a runner's body during the endurance (ie more than 10 mile) runs.  The water bottles with the belt come complete with the words, "Stay Hydrated!" lest you forget what purpose they are serving and are tempted to squirt water at squirrels while you run.  I never used to drink during my runs - I was afraid of cramping, so if I got too overheated or thirsty, I would stop at a water fountain, swallow a small amount and swish the rest around in my mouth before spitting it out, to the disgust of many a tourist.  But then I got the fuel belt and it changed my life.  NO LIE.  You think I'm exaggerating.  I can't say enough good things about this belt (except that it's fragile?  Maybe I just got a dud).  Now when I go on my short runs, I find it hard to rehydrate afterwards.  I usually end up drinking a lot of water at night and having to get up several times to pee (I think I actually got up 3 times the other night...I sound like a pregnant woman, not a marathon runner!).  So I have to learn how to hydrate throughout the day, every day, so that the addition of water/sports drinks (I prefer Gatorade and I thought orange would be good, but I have to admit that lemon-lime is really the best because it kind of tastes salty.  Or maybe it's cause I tend to sweat all over the water bottles...) and GU is only necessary because I'm going ridiculous amounts of miles.
Like on Sunday.  I did 17 miles and it KILLED me.  It didn't help that my fuel belt was MIA and I had to carry around a Gatorade bottle.  Which is all very well and good under normal circumstances but it's actually like carrying around a 1-1.5lb weight with you.  Anyone who's taken an intense workout class or done powerwalking can testify - that adds up after a while.  And trust me, I am ambitious in my marathon running but 17 miles took me almost three hours and it HURT.  I felt like my right arm was growing substantially while my left arm (where I keep my ipod) felt sadly puny.  I had to refill the bottle at water fountains several times and I have to admit that I walked the last .5 miles, something that I have not had to do in a long time.
I think if I start stretching, I will really start to feel better during my runs.  I tried this morning to stretch.  I joke a lot about how inflexible I am, but really I'm not that bad.  I can touch my toes.  For all of a second or two.  I mean, that counts.  So I touched my toes a couple times, shifted my weight from one leg to the other and then figured that was good enough.  I always forget my hamstrings and that muscle in your hip/butt.  I don't know the names very well, I guess I'll learn.  But for the first mile or two this morning, even after two days of rest, my left hip felt like it was going to pop out of the socket.  Ouchies!  I have to stretch that out now.  Am I even spelling stretch right?  It looks funny to me...
Well I guess that's what I wanted to talk about...I think the big thing here is that it's important to learn how to hydrate throughout the day, and not just to make your run easier.  Also so that you don't have to pee all night.  And hydration doesn't just include water, at least not for the hard core people like you and me.  It includes sports drinks, GU, and a fuel belt.  After a run, by the way, one of the best recovery drinks you can drink is...CHOCOLATE MILK!  Who would have ever guessed?  I haven't actually tried that yet, because as fun as it seems, the idea of drinking milk after running kind of makes me want to throw up.  Guess I'm not as hard core as I thought.
Next time (hopefully)....the sly six pack!

No comments: